Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Nonchalance of Every Day Life

I did absolutely nothing of importance today.

Okay, that's not entirely true. I miscounted my credit requirements for graduation at least ten times, slept 14 hours, caught up on the news in Spanish, drank a gazillion cups of tea, threw up, and listened to new Missy Elliot with irresistibly excessive bass. And watched the rain fall. So clearly I am doing big and important things with my life.

Just kidding. I truly am, just not today. And sometimes I have to tell myself to slow down and be okay with having a day of rest. Goodness. I do everything fast -- eat, write, read, learn, run... sort of, on a good day... ;) and I can never seem to slow down. Goodness. I even drink my tea fast. This is just wrong. Tea, in its very nature, was intended to be savored. For real.

So this was my day of rest, which was quite awkwardly placed during finals week, but you know what? It was worth it. Maybe I did nothing more important today than catching up on my friends' lives at Seattle Grace, but hey, life is all about balance, and today was about finding mine.

I took today to sort out of my life -- to plan registration for summer classes, to be sure that I will graduate in a few months, to look up human rights internships, etc. And I am happy to report, my friends, that my life is starting to look incredibly promising, even if it won't actually feel like it is beginning for a few years, but hey, that's all right, too. After all, I'm graduating college at the ripe old age of 20, so I clearly have the rest of my life to go to law school and become an international lawyer batting for people's rights to the basic joys of humanity. YES. I can't wait. And clearly, I'm starting now, with writing articles and volunteering and all that jazz. It's never too early to get involved, people.

OH YEAH. And I wrote a song today! I forgot about that. I always feel accomplished when I write a song or choreograph a dance. Maybe that should tell me something about my soul's idea of success ;) Love it. Still artsy, even when I'm preparing to go kick some serious global... you know ;)

Go get some, people. Love yourselves, love others. Go make a difference, because you can, and you do, and you will, if you are willing to try.

LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment