Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 2

Am I planning on blogging EVERY day from England? Well... for a while that may be a possibility, seeing as this is also an easy way for me to keep a "travel journal" to remember everything that happened during my trip so I can look back as an old lady and remember what it was like to be young. (Just a clarification, I plan on being impeccably healthy as an older person, and also very young at heart ;))

So, yes, here I am blogging to you for the third day in a row as I listen to John Mayer and feel the British breeze blow through my window. And yes, I can still see the palm tree from where I'm sitting!

We toured the downtown Nottingham today, and boy was it BEAUTIFUL. It's quaint enough that one can get to know it in a relatively short period of time, but big enough to really get that city feeling, which of course, I LOVE.

We saw buildings and remnants of walls that are older than our country, which really puts things into perspective for us as Americans. Our "history" is just a scratch on the surface of what a city like Nottingham has to offer. We went into caves below one of the pubs that were used about 300 years ago for secret meetings and other illegal things like dog fights! There are caves in Nottingham that date back to prehistoric times. I fully intend to go with the group on one of the cave ghost tours. YES. Sounds like a phenomenal time.

After touring the city, we headed to the pharmacy in one of the shopping centers to pick up some necessary toiletries. This pharmacy, Boots, is one of about 700 pharmaceuticals throughout the EU by the same name, all started by Jessie Boot right here in Nottingham. And if Jessie Boot doesn't mean much to you, open your cupboard, take out your ibuprofen, and thank him for inventing it ;)

We completed the day by taking one of several double-decker buses back to the flat, chatting with a friendly Englishman on the way, and now I'm here, happy to be off my feet for the first time all day :)

Side-note: "Chips" in England are "fries" in America. What Americans call "chips" are called "crisps" here (and come in flavors like "Cheese and Onion" and "Bacon and BBQ Sauce"). Also, British salsa is basically spicy ketchup. Not particularly appetizing, but the rest of the food is suiting me quite well. Especially the beef. GOOD beef. :)

All my love!

2 comments:

  1. Love it... wish I could be there with you right now!!! I knew it, I should've just stowed away in your suitcase. ;)

    Also, it was the same way with the slang in Australia... I said "fries" and they didn't know what the heck I was talking about because they call them chips. Funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...i remember in australia when somebody orders some "chips" I was so confused when we got fries! :P

    ReplyDelete